Friday, 26 September 2008

"Trying to become a Responsible Person..."

Started work in the irish bar yesterday and it was pretty good. Mostly just waitressing and making coffee, so I'm fairly sure the novelty will wear off fast but at least the people are nice. Working again tonight, but don't start til 11pm, so I'm at a bit of a loose end just now. Taking advantage of the free internet place underneath my flat to kill some time...

Also looking up pictures of Victoria Beckham's new haircut, I'm suddenly depserate to get my haircut and I'm thinking about going for a serious crop. Have to wait til I get paid though, whenever the hell that'll be cos at the moment I can barely afford to eat. Bad, bad times...

The guy who was meant to come for a private English class this morning cancelled at the last minute (i.e.: he sent me a text message at the time his class was meant to start) saying that he couldn't come because it was raining. Seriously. He fucking drives here and it cna't be more than a 30 second walk from his car to my flat. The truth is he's just a bit of a lazy sod, I think, but I really rely on the money he pays me so I'm always a bit gutted when he cancels, even though this morning I was half-dead because my stupid bloody neighbours were making loads of noise in the flat above mine at 4am - walking about on TILED FLOORS in high heels and generally laughing and being noisy pains in the arse. I was so peeved I almost took a broom and banged on the ceiling a la Mr Heckles from Friends, back in the day, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to embrace my inner grumpy-old-woman, so I just lay in bed and steamed instead. I'm sure to have a stomach ulcer by the time I'm 25 at this rate.

Working again tonight and it's been a long time since I worked til 3 am, and I'm not sure how I'll cope again to be honest, I guess I'll just see how it goes. It's only a 4 hour shift tonight, but when I start for real next week I'll be working much longer shifts, not sure how I'll feel after the first few of those. Yesterday, I was quite tired - not used to running around tables and up and down stairs any more - but at least I'd had a decent time talking to everyone there, so hopefully it'll be the same tonight. I'm determined to pay off all my debts now - Visa, overdraft, etc - and if that means sticking out a crappy job then so be it. Vamos a ver, as they say... I think they have live ceilidh bands and stuff playing in the pub so hopefully it'll be good craic.

Argh, money. My love-hate relationship with it has definitely swayed more in the direction of the latter recently. If I can make it through to the end of this month then I should be back on track - I've almost enough money to pay the rent at the end of next week, and if Lazy Man shows up for his classes next week then the money from him will be enough to make up the difference, so then I can live for the rest of the month off my tutoring money from other people - not sure if I get paid from the pub weekly or monthly - really hoping it's weekly now! Still, apart from my haircut, I'm going to stick to a tight budget and put half my wages away for paying the Visa and stuff and try to save all the money from my private classes (once I start getting paid at the pub, I mean) into a different bacnk account and start some savings. At least that way I'll enough for a flight home at Christmas and stuff... I wish I'd been one of those people who started saving when they got their first pocket money at the age of ten and slowly built up a nest egg from there (!) but I guess it's never too late to start.

Right, I'm going home to have a wee cup of tea and maybe write a letter to one of my friends back home. I've been feeling really homesick recently and in my financial straits I can't afford to keèp phoning people and texting them all the time, so it's back to old-fashioned snail mail! And you just can't beat a nice wee cup of tea...

No comments: