Monday, 29 September 2008

Feeling kind of screwed

So the big, utterly gutting news of today is that Lazy Man has cancelled his classes altogether. Now he says his boss needs him to have a qualification, so he's re-enrolling at the school where I used to work and where I met him (although, when I say 'met', in all honesty 'poached' would be a better word). He's coming for 2 classes this week, which will give me the other 60€ (he owes me for a class last week too) to make up my rent, to be paid on Friday, so for that I am grateful, but still feeling a bit bummed out. 240€ a month worse off - this does not make for a happy Clara. Nor does it look good for buying that jacket I wanted from Zara, bollocks.

Work at the bar is going well, and even though the money is shite (money is all I can think about these days, a fact that I hate and resent) I'm still enjoying it. And I get free food (and coffee, sometimes - and alcomohol if I work til closing: on Friday night someone made us all a Caipirinha!). The truth is it's actually pretty dead at night time, hardly anyone there, even at the weekends. It's busy during the day though - lots of people coming in for food and that's when it gets stressful and hectic. Still, I managed my shift today with just me & the boss (who's nice, but still The Boss) and 22 middle-aged, highly fussy and slighly sozzled Spanish women, so I'm feeling good about not having done a runner out the back door or spilled anything on anyone.

So, I'm on the search for new pupils to give classes to - I worked out that if I get 4 people a week that'll give me enough money to pay my rent again (my wages at the bar would cover my rent, but I'd rather have it paid by my tuition classes, so I can use my wages for paying off my overdraft. And getting my haircut.) But finding 4 new pupils is not actually that easy, and harder still is trying to find the time to teach them all! Coincidentally, I did get an email from a guy today who wants English lessons, so hopefully that's at least one new pupil! And the pub is shut on Saturdays & Sundays during the day, so I'd have time then to teach. So, maybe all isn't lost yet, although I did feel pretty floored last night when Lazy Man told me he wasn't coming after this week... What a dick, has been my prevailing thought, I must admit!

I've only just realised that I forgot to thaw out a chicken breast for my dinner tonight, and my other options are kind of slim. I have prawns, maybe I can thaw some of them quickly and make a stir-fry, I'm actually starving. Meant to be going out to a Language Exhange night night, where there's usually a Boy I may or may not like. Can't quite decide, which is maybe not the best sign!

I'm desperate to buy some books - the sooner the better! I'm one of these people who kind of panics when she has nothing to read. I'd rather re-read a book I've read several times already than have nothing at all to read! I also have a habbit of starting to read books in book shops, without actually buying them - although I do usually buy them eventually. (And I try to get them from the shop I spent the most time camped out on an armchair reading!) The bookshops here in Valencia don't really have the same browser-friendly (well... cheapo-friendly, really!) seats as the shops back home but you can usually find a wee chair to sit on and if oyu keep your head down you don't see the shop assistants giving you filthy looks, after you've been there an hour! haha. So, I started reading Memoirs of a Geisha (I'm about half-way through now!), got well and truly absorbed in that, and then on Saturday, randomly started reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith, and got totally addicted to that too. So I'm going to try & buy the books online, there's a great bookshop (abebooks.co.uk) where you get second-hand books pretty cheap, and finally properly read both! Can't wait.

Also can't wait for food, so now I'm away.

Peace out Reader (if there are any of you out there).

No comments: